I was given half of a huge pumpkin by a friend. As my children don't like pumpkin, I can only think of making pumpkin cakes or pumpkin bread. Actually I am not a fan of pumpkin, but I really love pumpkin chiffon cakes and pumpkin bread. This chiffon cake turns out so beautiful as the pumpkin gives the cake a natural and beautiful golden yellow hue while the gula melaka (palm sugar) and coconut milk gives such a beautiful sweet coconut-y aroma. And guess what, my children ate it without asking what's in the cake ;-)I am using extra-large eggs which weighed 59g each (with shell)
|infuse pandan leaves in palm sugar syrup|
|combine syrup, pumpkin and oil|
90g gula melaka (palm sugar), chopped or grated
40g coconut milk
1/4 tsp salt
2 blades pandan leaves, cut into short lengths
5 egg yolks (89g)
50g Rice Bran oil
70g mashed pumpkin
75g self-raising flour
15g rice flour
5 egg whites (169g)
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
55g caster sugar
- Place gula melaka, coconut milk, salt and pandan leaves in a small saucepan and cook until gula melaka melted. Strain the syrup through a sieve. Add in oil and mashed pumpkin, stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a clean bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy. Add in cream of tartar and whisk until soft peaks formed. Gradually add in sugar and whisk until stiff peaks formed.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat egg yolks until light and pale. Add in the pumpkin mixture and beat until combined. Mix in flour in 3 batches.
- Put in 1/3 of the meringue and mix to lighten the batter. Then gently fold in the rest of the meringue in 3 batches. Mix until no white streaks remain.
- Pour batter into an ungreased 20cm tube pan and bake in a preheated oven of 155°C for 1 hr 30 minutes.
- Invert the cake pan to cool completely before unmoulding the cake.